1. Ride bikes on the Allegheny Passage/C&O Canal. Even if you’re not an avid rider, the bike ride from Frostburg to Cumberland is all downhill and so beautiful!
2. Go pick pumpkins at Higson’s Farm, located right over the West Virginia border in Wiley Ford. They have a big pumpkin patch and lots of fresh produce!
3. The Autumn Glory Festival in Oakland happens every October. Reader’s Digest, Good Housekeeping and other media have highly rated this hometown festival. If you want to go to a hometown festival and see some beautiful foliage, this is the event for you!
4. This is a beautiful time of year to kayak or canoe at Rocky Gap State Park. Evitt’s Mountain offers beautiful views of fall foliage that reflect in Lake Habeeb. If you don’t own equipment, you can rent kayaks, canoes, stand-up paddle boards and pedal boats at the resort.
5. Burlington Apple Festival happens every fall in Burlington, West Virginia. It is a huge craft fair and offers apples in pretty much every form and lots of West Virginia/Appalachian culture!
6. Get out and take a hike in one of our amazing State Parks. Rocky Gap State Park, Green Ridge State Forest, New Germany State Park, Savage River State Forest and Dan’s Mountain State Park are a few of our favorites! Just beware of designated hunting areas and always wear bright and visible clothing.
If you fall in love with Western Maryland and the Potomac Highlands of West Virginia while you’re here, call Mountainside Home Realty or shoot us a message to start the hunt for your dream mountain get-away.